How to Avoid Carpet Wear and Tear
Steam Clean Express, April 2017
When buying a good, quality carpet, you are making an investment. Whether you purchased for monetary and/or aesthetic reasons, it is important for you to keep your new carpet looking plush and fresh. Please consider the following tips:
- Rotate (replace or turn your carpet) at least four times a year to distribute the wear on your carpet
- Place your rugs and carpets to one side of the room and avoid putting them in front of high traffic areas, such as doorways.
- Carpet protectors, made from heavy woven canvas or plastic strips. Keep in mind that this method can be a tripping hazard.
- Do not walk on your carpets wearing heels, specifically stilettos, as they can pierce holes in the carpet, causing extreme damage.
- Reposition your furniture often and use castor cups beneath your heavy furniture to avoid permanent indentations from the fiber being crushed.
- Avoid keeping your carpet in direct sunlight. Sun damage causes fading, premature aging, and can cause the carpet to become lighter in certain areas (particularly when your rug is dyed with natural substances). If you cannot avoid this, rotate your rug at least twice a month. This will not stop the fading process but will instead create more even, unvarying colors as it fades.
- When neglected, a dirty rug will show signs of untimely wear from dirt on the surface of the rug settling down into the pile and accumulating. To prevent lifting damage and the spreading of dirt, vacuum in the direction of the pile. Take special care when vacuuming the edges, particularly the fringe (though we recommend you do not vacuum the fringe area), and do not use the brush or beater bar attachment. These attachments can tear away loose fibers and/or worsen previously damaged/threadbare areas.
- To straighten tangled fringe, flip the rug by taking hand of one end of the carpet and walking it over to the other, leaving the rug upside down and the fringe straightened. Do not brush or comb the fringe if some remain twisted; rather, gently shake the rug.
Your Antique Carpet
Antique carpets are more often than not made from wool or silk and are susceptible to insects.
- At least twice a year, check under your carpets and rugs and inspect thoroughly for holes, webbing, and insect droppings.
- If any of these problems are found, carefully vacuum both sides of the carpet, using the upholstery attachment with the nozzle covered with a piece of nylon stocking; repeat once or twice a week for at least six weeks and for safety’s sake, inspect other areas of the house.
Steam Clean Express is fully insured and bonded and only uses certified technicians to do the actual carpet cleaning. We are locally owned & operated, and have been doing business in Red Deer for 23 years.