Once a year, many people scour their homes—deep cleaning and getting rid of items they haven’t used or worn in years. However, people who clean and stay organized throughout the year are - we believe - more likely to be happy, healthy and financially comfortable.
“I see clients every day who are extremely stressed due to the level of disorganization in their life,” said Lisa Zaslow, professional organizer. “If you keep your home organized, with a minimal level of clutter, you’ll see a number of benefits above and beyond being able to see your floor.”
"We have learned through years of professional facility management that uncluttered and organized spaces are easier to keep clean and healthful more quickly," said Beth Risinger, CEO of IEHA. "Less is more - more How much time should be devoted to housekeeping? It depends.... Click to read our 'Time' entry for more information & tips...">time, energy, and productivity."
What are some areas of your life that benefit from being organized?
- Emotional—A high level of disorganization can lead to excessive stress. A professional helped one client reorganize her home, and afterward the client “woke up happy, instead of stressed like before.”
- Health—An organized home is cleaner, keeping germ and The bugs are everywhere — literally.Click to read our 'Bacteria' entry for more information & tips...">bacteria levels to a minimum.
- Financial—“You’d be surprised how many people have money in old purses when I come to help them get organized,” said Zaslow. Additionally, being organized means you’ll be on top of paperwork—one missed credit card payment can rack up late fees, increase your interest rate and affect your credit score.
Knowing that there are all these additional benefits, how can you get started? It doesn’t matter where you start, so begin with the easiest or most annoying task.
- Cull through closets and storage to find items that you’re no longer using and get rid of them, like gadgets, last season’s clothes or collectibles. If they are still in great condition, donate them to Goodwill, have a yard sale, or consider bringing them to an eBay Trading Assistant. Trading Assistants are experienced eBay sellers around the country who will sell your items on eBay for a commission. They do almost all the work for you—making you money while you clear out clutter.
- Box up excessive paperwork or magazines and label them “Items to sort” as the first step. It will make you feel better to know the process has begun.
- Organize one room at a How much time should be devoted to housekeeping? It depends.... Click to read our 'Time' entry for more information & tips...">time to make the task less overwhelming. Making yourself a schedule of which room comes next helps show your progress.
The Housekeeping Channel (HC), a for-profit educational LLC, provides the information on HousekeepingChannel.com as a free service to the public. The intent is to disseminate accurate, verified and science-based information on cleaning and housekeeping.
While an effort is made to ensure the quality of the content and credibility of sources listed on this site, HC provides no warranty - expressed or implied - and assumes no legal liability for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product or process disclosed on or in conjunction with the site. The views and opinions of the authors or originators expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of HC: its principals, executives, Board members, advisors or affiliates.